Pages

8.1.14

To little Cesar of Tacloban City


"The Wall of Hope". We asked the kids in Rizal Central Elementary School (serving as an evacuation center) in Tacloban City to draw all their hopes and wishes, we did not expect the emotions coming.


December 21, 2014
Tacloban City, Leyte

Dear little Cesar,

I thought I already know what to expect when our flight bound to your beloved city took off early morning of December 18. I thought we will surprise you with all the gifts our team tirelessly collected and wrapped. But it was the other way around, I was surprised. 

AirJuan team had a small meeting few hours  while we were waiting to be boarded. We were instructed to always smile whenever kids like you approach us. There were numerous occasions I almost failed to do that.

I remember seeing you on 3rd day of our mission, during the drawing session with the kids of Rizal Central School. You were wearing a yellow sando and white shorts, running around and playing with others kids in the tent. 

I asked April, one of the kids in my group, to call you and ask if you also wanted to draw your wishes and put it later on the Mural of Hope, but she told me you were too shy. I was about to ask April few more questions when she explained to me about what happened to your entire family during the wrath of typhoon Yolanda. And she told me you are just 8 years old. I was shaken by the news and I just watched you for few minutes with disbelief. One of the kids grabbed your arms and both of you ran to the next tent, just like an ordinary fun-filled sunny day of games and laughter.

I wanted to look for you and know you better and give you a really tight hug. But I was too scared. I don't have any idea how I will console you or if I'm actually in the right position to do so. It was too much for me.

That night I did not stop thinking about you. What could be waiting for an 8-year old kid who loss his entire family in a snap? April told me you will be staying with your uncle. But I know for sure things will never be the same again for you.

I did not get a chance to look for you the next day. We need to finish everything because our stay in Tacloban was limited. 

I may not see you again, little Cesar. You don't any idea how you changed my perspective in life. My experience in my 22 years of existence will never be enough to give you the most sensible advice you need now. You saw a horror an adult could barely grasp.

Before, I only read the theoretical definition of the term survival in dictionaries, but Tacloban City made me see it beyond its meaning. We saw the scarcity of almost everything. I'm praying you will never run out of hope.

Sincerely,


Kuya Mc


The AirJuan Team with some of the kids in Rizal Central Elementary School, Tacloban City, Leyte.


No comments:

Post a Comment

can openers